Initial Licensing


pdfInitial Producer License Instructions
Please review if you have never had a producer license in Maryland before. These instructions, as well as specific instructions under Miscellaneous Lines below, apply to Surplus Lines Brokers, Insurance Advisors, Public Adjusters and Third Party Administrators.

Online Initial Licensing Application
You will be directed to State Based Systems (through the National Association of Insurance Commissioners) to access Maryland's online licensing. This system is used to license all lines of insurance producers, as well as insurance advisors, public adjusters, third party administrators, surplus lines brokers, viatical settlement brokers and providers, and motor vehicle rental companies/franchisees.

Uniform License Application for Resident/Non-Resident Producer Individuals and Firms

Note regarding Certificates of Good Standing for Firms only
Contact the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation at 410-767-1180 for forms to register your corporation and receive a Certificate of Good Standing after the registration is filed.

pdfMaryland Supplement - Limited Lines Licenses and Registrations 
Must accompany applications for the following licenses or registrations: Portable Electronics Insurance, Viatical Settlement Brokers and Providers, Motor Vehicle Rental Companies, Third Party Administrators. See additional instructions for these lines under Miscellaneous Lines below.

Temporary Producer Licenses
If you need to apply for a temporary insurance license in order to handle the business of a producer who has become disabled or deceased,  refer to the Initial Licensing Instructions and follow the application procedures above.

See Producer section home page if you are one of the following:

  • Insurance Advisor
  • Public Adjuster
  • Third Party Administrator
  • Motor Club Representative
  • Surplus Lines Broker
  • Viatical Producer

Title Insurance Producers